Wednesday 2 October 2013

Fitness tips from perhaps the world’s fittest woman

TRAINING ROOMA Lifestyle // Pro Active Blog




A three-time Master of the Ocean winner shares her daily schedule and philosophy fitness


Courtesy of O'Neill
Courtesy of O’Neill
“I’m the type of person who always sprints when I see the finish line, and I just won’t slow down until I’m there.”
Audrey Meyer is telling me about her workouts, but she may as well be describing her entire life—after all, her knack for pushing past her limits has made for a long list of accomplishments. She was ranked the fifth best female kiteboarder on the Professional Kite Rider Associate World Tour in 2008 and won the 2010, 2011, and 2012 Master of the Ocean (a windsurf, kitesurf, and surf triathlon) titles. But Meyer crosses that proverbial finish line every single day as the owner of Yoga4Sup, a certified Crossfit trainer, and a regular marathon competitor. Excuses aren’t an option for this fit-minded woman, and her abs are the proof. Here, we grill her for a rundown of her daily schedule and her secret to staying motivated.
How did you pick up kiteboarding?
I started about 13 years ago—I taught myself on a mattress kite and an old 7-food, 2-inch surfboard my boyfriend attached foot straps to! It was not easy, to say the least. Since the sport was brand new, there was no safety equipment and no one to show me what to do. It was challenging, but that’s why I loved it!
Tell me about the windsurfing, kiteboarding, and surfing triathlon you’ve won three times now.
The Master of the Ocean is like the Ironman of water sports, and originally started as a three-discipline competition. Today, it’s a four-discipline event that includes paddle surfing. Each discipline is judged based on surfing waves and freestyle maneuvers using the wave. In 2010, 2011, and 2012 I won the female division. The event didn’t take place this year because of lack of sponsors, but I heard 2014 is going to be bigger than ever, so I’m ready to defend my title!
You’re also a fitness professional—that’s a lot of exercise! Can you run me through a typical day?
I wake up at 6 a.m. and begin my day with a short yoga pre-surf session at my house. After that, I walk my dogs so they get their daily exercise in as well. Then I snack on a little of my favoritehomemade power chocolate fudge while checking the forecast to decide on which board to take. Then I throw on my favorite O’Neill piece and grab my board, and I’m off to the beach for a two-hour surf or paddle session. I eat breakfast when I get home from surfing; it’s my favorite meal. I love to mix bananas, mangoes, passion fruit, papayas, pineapples, and various other fruits with oatmeal, nuts, and cinnamon. Then I head off to the gym to teach a Crossfit or Aquafit class.
I always have a light lunch so I can be ready to go back into the water without having a full stomach when the wind picks up. Then I grab my kite or windsurf board and scout some waves to shred! When the wind drops I head home and work out around my pool in my outdoor gym. If I’m really tired, I’ll just stretch and do a bit of yoga and meditation. We don’t have any cans or boxes in our home—we prepare our meals with real food. I only drink water, black coffee, and enjoy sipping a glass of wine once in a while. That’s it. I don’t drink pop or any sweet drinks; I enjoy my eight hours of sleep.
That’s a really intense schedule! Any guilty pleasures?
I love dark chocolate, and I’m really pick about the stuff. I like it pure and intensely dark. One of my friends makes homemade organic chocolate; she prepares a special batch just for me, which includes a dash of cayenne pepper and honey. I love it. It gives me a little buzz when my energy level is down.
What’s your fitness philosophy?
I believe fitness is a lifestyle. For me, the purpose of exercise is to feel happy, healthy, and of course, to maximize performance. The key to achieving our absolute best body is to set goals, have dreams, then follow and enjoy them along the way. I like to say, “Enjoy the journey, not just the destination.” I personally always have a goal and train for it (a marathon, competition, show, big swell coming in, mastering a new sport). It’s what keeps me motivated and focused.
How do you motivate yourself to get in the water on cold days?
I like to push myself harder than what I think is possible. I like to push past my comfort zone, because as I start to get better at something I start to feel confident in achieving what I wasn’t sure was possible. When I’m tired or unmotivated, I remember why I started and how far I’ve come. I also change my mindset by telling myself that my brain is just tricking me into thinking I want to be lazy. I like to crank up the music and jump into my workout clothes to get me going.
audry2
You’re an O’Neill 365 activewear ambassador—what are some of your favorite pieces from the O’Neill 365 collection?
My favorite piece from the O’Neill 365 is the Rapid Bikini bra and the Solari Boy shorts from the O’Neill 365 Hybrid collection. I love wearing them during my workouts on the beach or at the gym, then taking them into the water for a great session in the waves. I don’t have to bring three different outfits to change into.
If we’re extremely busy, what’s your suggestion for staying fit?
Compromising is the key to staying fit and healthy. I try to hit the water at least every day even if the conditions aren’t great.  When I travel, I always stay at a hotel with a gym or a pool. This ensures I can still get a workout in even if I’m not on the beach. I also try to fit at least 30 minutes of yoga and stretching into my day. You can really do yoga just about everywhere.
What are you excited about professionally this year?
This year I’m going to extend my Blossom Yoga and Ocean Women retreats and open them up to men. I’ve been asked to include men before but was a little nervous to deal with the guys. Now that I’ve gained enough confidence in dealing with bigger groups of people, I’m ready to offer an Extreme Surf Camp (surf, paddle, kitesurf, windsurf) for anyone who wants to get better in the waves. It’s kind of an adventure sports camp in the ocean. I’m really stoked.






original site

No comments:

Post a Comment