Wednesday 2 October 2013

Get lost in your love of the sea with this new publication

READSA Lifestyle // Culture Blog




Leticia Nguyen transforms her affinity for the sea into an online publication we can’t stop reading


Leticia Nguyen; all photos by Gary Parker at gas-art.com
It’s clear within the first few minutes of talking to Leticia Nguyen that her attachment to the sea is real, not some manufactured back-story. “Some of my best memories involve the ocean,” she says, insisting that for her, perfect days hold little more than those hours spent languidly paddling through the waves. Nguyen may command an impressive grasp of English grammar and a reporter’s eye for a story, but at heart she’s a romantic, which might be why her online publication,Sea Stoke, reads more like a love letter to the ocean than some pro-worshipping magazines of the same genre. We’re totally smitten with its smart articles and unmatched illustrations, so we caught up with Nguyen to find out more.
leticia1
What was the inspiration to start Sea Stoke, and what is your mission as a publication?
It was [photographer Gary Parker’s] idea in the first place, but we both thought about how rad it would be to have a magazine that interconnects people who all share an affinity for the ocean. We wanted to create a platform where creative individuals could collaborate and have their work seen all over the globe. Also, surf mags can be limiting, and we wanted to draw in as many ocean-loving folk as possible, which is why we decided to make Sea Stoke more of a ‘sea-centric’ lifestyle publication. While there are some really tasteful publications out there that have awesome content and beautiful images, a lot of the ones we dig are solely focused on surf lifestyle, and we wanted to start something that encompasses all things oceanic, whether that be surfing, diving, sailing, or whatever else draws you to the ocean.
leticia2
Tell me about your own relationship with the ocean.
I’ve always been obsessed with water and when I was growing up, I loved swimming, kayaking, and going to the lake after school. I grew up in a small town inland, but my fascination with the ocean was from an early age, as weekends and holidays were spent down at Phillip Island, which is a well-known coastal destination an hour from where I grew up. We spent so much time at the holiday house of my godparents, and I never wanted to leave! I always asked my mum if we could move down there, but it wasn’t until I was an adult that I finally made the move to the coast and cannot imagine living inland ever again! I love surfing and feel instantly happy and smiley when I am in the water, and I especially love the magical places that it can take you to, as well as how it brings some beautiful people into your life. For me, as most will agree, the ocean is very therapeutic and is the perfect place to go to clear the mind and come back feeling completely energized.
leticia6
We loved the story on the origins of nautical tattoos. What is your favorite article you’ve published so far?
I enjoyed the story on Dylan Gill-Valance, who sailed from the U.S. to Australia in the boat he bought in California—he had a miniscule amount of sailing experience and his story just demonstrates how anybody can bring their aspirations to fruition, no matter how wild or ambitious they may seem! People who turn adversity into positivity, such as Christian Bailey, whose NGO the “Ocean Healing Group” we featured in the first issue, have always fascinated me.
leticia7
What do you hope Sea Stoke evolves into over the next few issues?
I guess our overall mission is to make an accessible publication that is both aesthetically pleasing and packed with diverse content. We always aim to be as inclusive as possible and strive to present art, film, and photography that leaves a lasting impression on our readers. We love doing stories that put a spotlight on “ordinary’” people doing extraordinary things. Rather than focusing on celebrities or pros, we would much rather focus on lesser-known people whose stories engage and inspire our readers.






original site

No comments:

Post a Comment